August 14, 2016

Rio Olympic Torch Craft

To kick-off the new school year and the Summer Olympic Games, I had my students create Rio-inspired Olympic torches using the materials I had on hand in my classroom.  Due to my role as the school's Creative Crafters committee lead, I had leftover purple & silver tissue paper squares from a previous project.  Purple & silver are our school colors but I also feel they coordinated well with this year's torch colors.  I mean, isn't purple a big color used at Brazil's Carnaval / mardi gras masks?

To create this DIY Rio Olympics Torch:

  1. Gather white 8.5 x 11 paper, coloring supplies (markers, crayons or colored pencils), tape, tissue paper squares (for the flame), and a hot glue gun.
  2. With the paper oriented as a portrait, begin to color the torch like this:
  3.  Roll the paper into a cylinder with the mouth slightly wider than the end.
  4. Use tape to hold the shape.
  5. Hot glue tissue paper squares inside the mouth of the torch to represent the Sacred Flame.
Watch the lighting of this year's Olympic Cauldron in Rio here:




2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas for the Olympic torch. Cute, fast and current! I can't wait to share this with my teacher friends!

    Best wishes!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas for the Olympic torch. Cute, fast and current! I can't wait to share this with my teacher friends!

    Best wishes!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete